Thursday, July 8, 2010

Todo Bien!

It is shocking to me as I sit here and realize that I have only been in La Paz for 5 days! I have never grown, learned and experienced so much in just 5 days in my life! ...and I´m not even really trying.


Since last I blogged (which seems like a lifetime ago) I have decided where I will focus my energy regarding volunteer work. I met with another woman, Siobhan (from Dublin) who works for ¨Para los Ninos¨ on Tuesday. She suggested that I work at the Erick Boulter center for Deaf children...only difference is she wants me to work with the adults who have various disabilities. The adults who live there have ¨graduated¨from the children´s program but, obviously, cannot just be kicked out onto the street...most would not last an hour independently. It is wonderful that there is a place for them to live and be cared for here. I will be the first volunteer to work with these adults...most volunteers request to only work with the cute little ones. When I walked over to the center and saw all the adults (with various disabilities- most not deaf) just sitting around in the yard with no activity, I resolved that this would be where I spend my time. I would like to help by organizing stimulating activities for them in the afternoons to improve their interaction with each other and quality of life.

Today I went to the center after Spanish lessons just to introduce myself to the other workers and observe and interact with the adults who live there. I wanted to get an idea of their various levels of abilities (i.e. physical, communicative, etc.). I brought a few balls and some various colored balloons to prompt physical movement and communication. It worked pretty well...most of them were thirsty for interaction and very curious about me. I brought paper and pens also to assess writing abilities. I got a lot of information and realized that I have my work cut out for me!

All of the adults are physically imapired in some way...however, physical abilities, as a whole, are their strength. I talked with the social worker (who was skeptical and shy with me initially, as most Bolivians tend to be). Once I was able to communicate my intentions (I had practiced in Spanish lessons earlier this morning) she warmed up quickly and was gracious for my help. I had a lot of fun today playing with the adults and encouraging them to participate. I look forward to this challege!


I must comment about the women I have met while here so far. I feel blessed to be in the company of such motivated and intelligent people who have recognized areas of need and suffering in the world and worked their butts off and sacrificed to make positive changes. For example, Alix Shand, the woman who helped make this all happen for me. She owns the institute where I study and is one of the ¨go-to¨people in La Paz if you wish to volunteer. I am going to try to attach a recent blog that she created after traveling deep into the coutry here to translate for a group of volunteer doctors from Holland. It is very interesting. Another woman, Iris Palacios, started Reach Bolivia http://www.reachbolivia.com/ and works so hard with almost no resources to improve the lives of the children in a local hospital here in la Paz. There are so many others...they are all compassionate women who are brilliant, hard-working and tough as nails (Even I wouldn´t talk back....yet). So inspiring to me.


Iris, who I mentioned above, has been almost begging me to work with her organization as well. She has two children in the hospital (long term hospital- more of a home) who desperately need speech therapy for language development. I am going to volunteer three mornings a week at the hospital and 2-3 afternoons at Erick Boulter. (plus classes 2-3 x per week). Whew! But this is what I´m here for!



Truely, I haven´t even scratched the surface of my observations and experiences (in only 5 days!). My next post will include more about La Paz and Bolivia in general regarding the fascinating culture and geography. I am going to be traveling to Salar de Uyuni for 5 days next week and hope to post again befor that.






Interesting fact...found out the hard way: Because of the altitude, carbonated beverages (i.e. beer) tend to have a frothier head :) It is a local superstition that the frothier your beer, the more money you have. Mine overflowed instantly, so I hope the superstition really means ¨the more money you will get¨!

6 comments:

  1. wow girl. you are amazing. I can't wait to read more and I'm so proud to know someone doing so much good in the world!!!! you are an inspiration :) we just need to get some beer in that mug now! glad you are there safely and I can't wait to follow your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy,
    Thank you for going where the need is great and working with the adults. Everyone strives for a quality life, thank you for seeing with your heart and responding with compassion. This brought a tear to my eye... Glad the two children in the hospital with benefit from your being there too. Yes YOU are one of the compassionate, brilliant, hard working women in Bolivia. If the foam on your beer is a measure of wealth, you clearly have much!!

    Love, love love, Auntie Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy,

    I am so happy that you are having such a great time. Before you know it you will be back in the states, like saying goes "time flies when your having fun!) I have read both posts and all I keep thinking is how you thought you would be gaining wait. Silly girl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy! Yay! It all sounds great.
    Whenever I travel I find that I always encounter amazing women- they're everywhere! You're one too! Keep writing. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greetings Amy,
    Feeling the joy and excitement in your spirit.
    Continue to share your love each and every day!!!
    With love, Uncle Dave

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comments and the recognition that we all do as much as we can to improve as much as its possible... but hang on.. you will see in a couple of years, at least the children will have free therapy. This could be possible without you kind hearts that come to Bolivia and offer your time :)

    ReplyDelete